Sunday, January 4, 2009

It's not a boat

This weekend Kyle got to tour the USS Nimitz at the Naval Base in San Diego. Mike, a family member, is assigned to the ship and was able to get us on board and showed us around. The ship was having maintenance work done so we weren't able to go in certain areas but we got to see the hospital, bridge, flag bridge and flight deck which were many flights of stairs and many "step overs" (that's what I'm calling them since I can't remember what Mike said they were) away from each other. We also got to eat dinner there and the food wasn't bad at all.

It amazes me how these ships are able to stay afloat and accomodate thousands of people.


USS Nimitz


Looooong passageways


City view from the flight deck


Kyle & Dylan in the Captain's chair


Trouble at the steering wheel



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what happened to the comment that I left you the other day. Maybe I forgot to push send. :-) This was a fun day. Glad you guys were able to come visit! We will have to do it again sometime. We ate dinner on the ship again last night. IT wasn't as good as the pizza. LOL Hope to talk to you soon. Rhonda